The Surf-Ratz share their favorite Surfer Slang terms, straight from the mouths of the Californian surf community.
- Stoked – Excited about something, e.g. “I’m stoked about my new Surf-Ratz Spitfire board”.
- Air…get airborne above the lip of the wave could do 180 or 360 and land still riding the wave
- Floater – Come up off the face of the wave and ride on the top after the wave has feathered.
- Wipe-out – Falling off your board while riding the wave and getting churned under the wall of water.
- Shwack – A radical and abrupt power move from the top to the bottom of the wave
- Drop-in – Taking off in front of another surfer who already is deeper and in position on the wave.
- Goofy Foot – Surfing with your right foot forward on the surfboard
- Regular Foot – Left foot forward when surfing
- Outside – a set of waves coming on the horizon; called out by surfers to get ready for more moves
- Sick – Something that is considered really good.
- Duck Dive – Push the nose of your board down and dive under the oncoming wave while on the board.
- Gnarly – extremely difficult, risky and challenging.
- Kook – a surfer who is a beginner or inexperienced.
- Tube – the inside of the wave.
- Barreled – riding inside the tube of the wave.
- Green Room – inside the tube of the wave; eg. in the green room
- Overhead – when the waves are breaking above the height of the surfers.
Psych’s FavsMen in Grey Suits – Psych! (translation: Sharks)